My passion for science guided me to a career in cancer research and gene therapy. From these early experiences, I developed an interest in overall health and wellness. I learned quickly how our environment impacts our health, which led me to teaching others how to live a greener life.
I have a Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology from the University of New Hampshire, (Durham, NH 1994) with a minor in Health Management and Policy. After several years of work in both academia and small biotech, I received my certification as a Pharmacy Technician. 10 years ago, I started my own business in freelance writing and social media marketing. Please email me with any questions and references are available upon request. Thank you for your consideration.
11/19 – present
I am currently working part time as a certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy, which is a non profit pharmacy in Norcross, GA. Good Pill is a mail order pharmacy that accepts donated medication from an assortment of healthcare facilities and redistributes that medication to people who cannot afford their medication for one reason or another. My role as a pharmacy technician is to help repackage and redistribute prescription medication from our inventory of donated medication to the customers who need it.
1/09 – present
Professional Blogger, Social Media Marketer and Freelance Writer
For the last 10 years I have been the sole writer, editor, photographer and marketing expert for two websites (Turning the Clock Back and Suburbia Unwrapped). Experience includes creative writing, social media promotion on numerous popular social media sites, SEO optimization, understanding of some basic HTML, and familiarity with both Blogger and WordPress blog templates. I regularly use spreadsheets, word processing programs, Power Point, and several other commonly used office programs.
3/00 – 2015
Rite Aid Drug Store (Nationally certified pharmacy technician)
As a member of the pharmacy team I was responsible for all aspects of customer service and prescription filling. This included interaction with customers, filling the prescription and submitting the information to the insurance company. I also helped with inventory, record keeping and pharmacy maintenance as needed.
1/98 – 8/99
Center for Cell and Gene Therapy, Texas Children’s Cancer Center, Houston, TX
(QA/QC analyst) Job specifications: Perform environmental monitoring, including viable and nonviable particle counts. Responsible for auditing of production records, writing standard operating procedures, training cleaning staff, updating databases, and auditing labels for patient samples. Perform bioburden assay, endotoxin testing. Use Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) and numerous cell-based assays to determine the purity, viability, and functionality of adenoviral and retroviral vectors. Optimize assays to test functionality of various viral vectors.
1/95 – 1/98
Baylor College of Medicine, Department of Cell Biology
Project involved characterization of the mechanisms of nuclear import in mammalian cells. Purified numerous recombinant proteins for use in these assays. Also responsible for all aspects of laboratory management.
6/94 – 12/94
Sennes Drug Innovations, INC
Optimized and implemented biochemical and cell-based assays in the development of SDI-1; a cell cycle inhibitory protein, as a therapeutic for proliferative diseases.
1990 – 1994
B.S. Microbiology University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH
I graduated summa cum laude with a focus on medical microbiology and a minor in Health Management and Policy.
MEDIA ACCOLADES AND FREELANCE WRITING
- Freelance writer for Treehugger.com
- Freelance writer for Life Sciences Product Marketing on Demand
- Contributor for GwinnettRecycles.com
- SC Johnson Greener Choices blogger (program no longer active, please ask for more details)
- Featured in Nature Made Vitamin’s 2013 promotional videos for Vitamelt supplements
- Named to Cision’s Top 10 Organic Food Bloggers on Twitter for 2014
- Recipe featured in Fox News Magazine in 2013 (no longer an active website)
- Featured in Atlanta Parent Magazine October 2013 as a top Atlanta Blogger
- Featured in Willow & Sage Magazine Winter 2015
- Recipes and Articles featured on the Cabot Cheese website
- Green Laboratory article featured on Biotix
- Freelance writer for Hologic women’s health website. (website no longer active)
- Freelance writer for EmpowHER women’s health website in 2016
- Freelance writer for Solar City green living website (website no longer active)
- Lemon thyme seasoned salt recipe featured on Self.com
- Lavender Lip Scrub featured on BuzzFeed
- Beer bottle craft featured on Better Homes and Gardens
- Bottle Cap garden art featured on Country Living
- Contributor for Heifer International Eco Conscious Gift Ideas
- Recyclebank green living tips contribution
- Quoted in Martha Stewart Weddings
- Sage and Blackberry Sugar Scrub on Forbes.com
- 2012 Recipe Content Creator for the Grain Mill Wagon
Work and family keep me very busy, however, in my free time, I enjoy gardening, reading, finding new recipes to try, and heading into the mountains with my husband on our motorcycle.
Contact me at email@example.com for more information